Monday, April 21, 2014

The King





J.R. Ward's # 1 New York Times bestselling Black Dagger Brotherhood continues as a royal bloodline is compromised by a grave threat to the throne.

Long live the King…

After turning his back on the throne for centuries, Wrath, son of Wrath, finally assumed his father’s mantle--with the help of his beloved mate. But the crown sets heavily on his head. As the war with the Lessening Society rages on, and the threat from the Band of Bastards truly hits home, he is forced to make choices that put everything--and everyone--at risk.

Beth Randall thought she knew what she was getting into when she mated the last pure blooded vampire on the planet: An easy ride was not it. But when she decides she wants a child, she’s unprepared for Wrath’s response--or the distance it creates between them.

The question is, will true love win out... or tortured legacy take over?

I have invested a lot of time in this series. I have been critical and very rewarding of the words that I use for this series. This book is no different. There were a lot of good parts but there was one prevailing issue with this book. 

Let us start with all the good stuff. 

1. We see the relationship of Beth and Wrath go through all sorts of emotional highs and lows as they struggle with the decision to have a child. 
2. We see the past. Warth's parents and their story is delivered to us and we see the parallels between the two Kings' reigns. 
3. There are a lot of side stories. 
-Saxton and how he is still hurt over Blay. We see him in his new role as the king's lawyer. 
-Layla and Xcor.....This is interesting. One is struggling with his growing love and his desire for the throne. The other, is drawn to him, however she will do anything for her king. 
-The glymera and their plot, comes to fruition and how Wrath and Beth deal with it is quite ingenious. 
-In true Warden fashion, we see what the next book is going to be about. There are several developments with Trez and Iam. Oh, yea a certain chosen is thrown in the mix......
4. Sola and Assail....Oh what a story there. I will not spoil anything...but holy hell, shower scene...that is all. 
5. We see the monarch change in ways that we can only imagine. 
6. Also, the sex scenes were hot. The use of "cock" was nice. I just wish the Warden would use a better word than "sex" for a vagina. I giggled everytime someone touched their partner's "sex". It is almost as bad as "throbbing man flesh". 

Now with the issues, or concerns. 

1. Where is the Scribe Virgin. Yes, her world was rocked, but seriously, there are things that she needs to be involved in but is not there. 
2. I feel that there were more questions raised then answered. I know I had serious issues with the last book with the unrealistic boy sex but this book left me feeling a little empty. I wanted more conclusions to the many many plot lines. This book felt too long with so little being accomplished. Good book, yes. I just wanted more. 
3. There was also, very little action. Part of the books that made them good for me was the action with the Omega and the Lessers. Outside of Xcor's little fun and a scene with Trez, there was no lesser action.


So, I will continue to read. I smiled as I was reading and all the memories of the prior novels came flooding back. I cannot wait for the Shadows book. 


Quotes:
“Rhage raised his hand " Pastor Ass-hat, I have a question." "Yes my son, you are going to hell”

…I’m not strong enough for this,” he whispered in her ear—like he didn’t want anyone to hear that coming out of his mouth. Ever.
Running her hands up his powerful back, she held him just as hard. “But I am.”

“After shoving his former clothes inside, Xcor found himself bowing at the waist. “Your assistance has been much appreciated.” Antoine raised his palm like he was getting ready to do a clap on the shoulder again. But once more, he caught himself and smiled instead. “Knock her dead, my man.” “Oh, no.” Xcor shook his head. “That shan’t be necessary. This one I like.”

Rating:



Until Next Time, 





No comments:

Post a Comment